What does it mean for me that commercial ClearCanvas products will reach end-of-life?
End-of-life (EOL) means two things:
- License termination. The license for your product will be disabled on our license server. Unfortunately, this means that after the EOL date, the product cannot be guaranteed to continue to function. For this reason, we strongly urge you to migrate your data to another system by the EOL date to mitigate against any data loss and minimize disruption to your organization.
- Support termination. As of the EOL date, all support for your product, including paid support, will no longer be available.
When will my product reach EOL?
The EOL date depends on the jurisdiction in which you use (NOT purchased) the product:
- Canada & USA: December 31, 2020 (Support Termination)
- European Union: July 31, 2020 (License & Support Termination)
- Singapore: May 31, 2020 (License & Support Termination)
- All other countries: October 31, 2020 (License & Support Termination)
Exactly what does license termination mean?
As mentioned above, license termination means that your product license key will be disabled on our license server on the EOL date. The exact technical implications of this will vary by product and may not be entirely predictable, but can range from being downgraded to an evaluation, non-medical device version of the software, to the software being fully disabled. For this reason, we strongly urge you to migrate your data to another system by the EOL date to mitigate against any data loss and minimize sudden disruptions to your organization.
Exactly which products will reach end-of-life?
All commercial products which are considered medical devices. These include all versions of:
- ClearCanvas Workstation, Personal Edition
- ClearCanvas Workstation, Clinical Edition
- ClearCanvas RIS/PACS, Team Edition
- ClearCanvas RIS/PACS, Cleome Edition
- ClearCanvas ShareStation
- ClearCanvas ShareAgent
Unaffected products include:
- ClearCanvas Vetstation
- ClearCanvas Chirostation
- All open source versions
Can the license be terminated for a paid product?
According to the End User License Agreement that was agreed to upon installation, there is a provision for us to revoke the license at any time.
Can you recommend an alternative product?
There are many PACS and RIS solutions on the market. However, because we are not intimately familiar with them, we are unable to make a recommendation. Note that open source versions of ClearCanvas continue to be available on the ClearCanvas Github site. However, be aware that there are notable differences between these versions and the commercial version you currently use (e.g. no hanging protocols, media burning, user logins, etc.) Most importantly, they are NOT medical devices and thus carry no regulatory clearance of any kind.